Sunday, April 22, 2007

The joys of driving

This is what I ran into well perhaps that's a bad choice of words. This is what I saw happen when I was out driving the past two days.

The first thing I should say is that I do not drive very much. The car I have I got used from CarMax and have put maybe 8,000 miles on it in two years. Around 2,000 miles I put on it when I went out and visited my dad, brother and sister-in-law in Springfield. It was a surprise.

So here's what I run into in a days time.

The light has turned green the car in front of me goes through the light and then stops. The car then proceeds to make a left turn. No turn signal. I guess turns signals were part of an option package they didn't get.

I come to a stop at a light. I'm in the left hand land. There are about half a dozen cars in the lane to my right. There is a no turn on red sign. The first car makes a right on red. The others do the same. Some don't even bother to slow down. They just run the red light.

I'm stopped at a light. The light turns green. I go through. The car to the right of me is in a right turn only lane. It has its own signal. The signal is still red, but the guy turns anyway.

The light is red. The car in front of me runs it. Goes to the next light which also happens to be red but stops at this one. My light turns green. I end up right behind the guy who blew through the light. We sit at this new red light for another good 30 seconds.

These events happened in the two times I went out in the car this weekend. Total driving time less than an hour.






Here are a couple of pictures the day I got my car. It is by the way the first car that I have ever owned.


1 comment:

Arthur Schenck said...

So good to know that idiot drivers are universal...